Do you have an addiction? I have several. I’m addicted to my phone. It’s something that I hesitate to acknowledge, but it’s true. I’m also addicted to toxic relationships. Without meaning to attract drama, it finds me. Many people in my life say I should be a counselor. I have no desire to do this.
We all have faults. I have several that I’ve had to work on over the years, and I’m still in progress. What matters is we acknowledge those weaknesses and turn them into assets.
How can you conquer addictions for the upcoming year? Well, there are a few steps you can take. Here are a few suggestions.
- Identify the addiction. If you can’t identify what you struggle with, then how can you fix it?
- Set up patterns. Patterns don’t take hold instantly. Many people don’t realize that addiction has patterns that dictate behavior. What routine do you have after work? What habits are you engaging in that create more problems? Any of these issues can translate into addiction problems.
- Stay Away from Temptations that Help Feed Your Addiction or Bad Habits. Staying away from temptations is a lot easier than you think. By eliminating temptation, you can create a healthier space for yourself.
- Replace Your Old Habits with New Similar Ones. Overcoming addiction can be hazardous if you are replacing one bad habit with another. Find healthy habits that you can replace unhealthy ones. It will make your life easier.
- Love Yourself. You have to realize that you are worth overcoming addiction. Overcoming addiction is your life and your battle. Once you balance your life, you will find new opportunities open for you.
There is a new year that is approaching. Get rid of the obstacles holding you back and embrace the challenges life has to offer. Something tells me you will find a part of yourself you never knew existed.