I have heard all my life to have a positive attitude. Some days are easier to have a good quality disposition than others. I try to maintain a healthy outlook even when things are bleak. It’s difficult to say what’s the easiest way to preserve that healthy attitude when the rest of the world is ready to launch missile attacks on one another. All you have to do is turn on the news to hear of another shooting, or lynching in the streets in some part of the world. Bombings are becoming an almost every day occurrence. It’s almost as if the demons of the earth are walking and masquerading as people. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed so much hostility as I have over the last few months.
Some of my friends are always posting about the Bible verses on their social media pages and I’ve done it too. But the truth is that no one on this earth truly knows when the apocalypse is coming. It’s imperative that we all try to keep a positive demeanor and disposition so that we can remember that kindness is the key to overcoming many of the issues we are all experiencing.
What happens when someone has pushed every button that you have and you explode at them? It doesn’t look professional. Chances are you might even lose your job over it. Fear can overtake you and you may not know what to do. That fear can lead to panic and panic leads to poor decisions. Rarely do any of us make a good decision about anything when we are overwhelmed? Sometimes it’s so much easier said than done. One of the issues that I really struggle with within any company is the frequent lack of communication between the upper management and the rest of the employees. It’s like they are all in different worlds. There is some truth to this but companies that are thriving, have managed to get everyone to work hard, remain focused on the profits that are made, and keep production thriving. There may be some communication that gets lost in the shuffle but overall, they keep employees on a tight agenda. Many companies are run with extreme micromanagement. They are also some of the same companies that many employees leave work with a terrible disdain for their employers. They may not have superiors that recognize the work they do and those workers may feel unappreciated.
It’s a common problem that has no simple solutions. In a perfect world, it would be simple to keep a positive disposition. Not everyone can be a Mary Poppins type of character from the imaginary world of Disney. It’s getting rare to experience the cheeriness of people in their positions. Many are now afraid that if they don’t work extremely hard that their jobs will disappear along with their living arrangements. They would be correct that there is a very fine line.
Here’s a few tips that I’ve found are helping me to stay focused, positive and rejuvenated.
1. Surround yourself with positive people. This is really important. If you are surrounding yourself with negativity, it will rub off on you. Look for the people who are making a difference in this world and align yourself with them. Ask them to help you so that you can benefit from them. Let those who are able to mentor you into a better version of yourself. This world is not easy to live in. Yet, if we see the glass as half full as opposed to half-empty, then we are seeing the best that there is to be offered.
2. Fill your mind with positive energy. I can’t stress this enough. Every morning, I try to research a positive quote for the day. Like this morning, I woke up to the quote of “One Small Positive Thought in the Morning Can Make A Positive Difference in the Way You Live Today.” When I took a call from a customer who was mad because we don’t prorate move out, I was particularly pleased with how I was able to calm her down and at the end of the call make her feel that she was appreciated. Sometimes I think the heat that most of us are dealing with doesn’t just pertain to the weather but if we allow ourselves the opportunity to keep a healthy and positive mindset, it’s amazing at the incredible opportunities that can come to our direction.
3. Watch the Profanity. I admit. This one can be a struggle for me. Not because I don’t know and understand how to converse with the public but there are days that you just don’t feel sociable and you must put forth the most professional demeanor possible. That means no profanity, no derelict tones, no squinting your eyes at others, or sticking out your tongue at people who push those buttons. Don’t give in to the childish antics. Not only do you want to kill them with kindness but you might find that if you maintain a healthy attitude, that it will rub off and you might actually start to believe the positive things that you are emitting.
4. Create a healthy routine every day. You may try setting your Alexa or Google Home if you have either one to create a workout reminder and adhere to it. If you don’t have those, you might want to set goals for the day and check them off as you achieve those tasks. Whatever works for you is what you need to do because it’s your life. Don’t let bitterness and anger win. So what if someone is causing grief for you at work? It’s a short term deal. You have the power to not let them have your energy. If others egg you on, I can assure you, karma will bite them at some point. Don’t worry about them. Focus on you and keeping yourself healthy emotionally as well as physically.
5. Reward yourself but don’t fall into the trap of rewarding yourself with junk food. Chocolate is my downfall. I’ve had to learn how to not let it control me. Sometimes it’s been a struggle and other times I’ve been able to walk away. It truly does become a mindset that you have to decide what’s important to you, where you are willing to work on, and what you are willing to do in order to achieve your goals and dreams.
6. Be nice to everyone. Want to know the best way to irritate someone that is grating under your skin? Be nice. They are expecting you to get angry and be a jerk but if you are nice to them, that’s going to get to them because they won’t be able to make you feel inferior.
There’s a lot of other things that you can do for a positive demeanor but the last tip I’m going to state is to accept responsibility for when you mess up. Look, we all make errors and utilize poor judgment sometimes but that doesn’t mean that we have to beat ourselves up. There are enough people in this world who keep knocking us down but that is a reflection on them. What matters is not only do we get up but that we stand strong when we rise. There doesn’t have to be a physical ceiling to make you feel that you have the confidence to take on the world. Don’t let others take away your confidence. Believe in yourself and allow the world to see what you have to offer. I don’t have the skills to be an artist but when I am actually able to draw something cool, I’m proud of myself because I managed to do something more than a stick figure. I am not the world’s greatest at certain crafts, but I don’t let it stop me from learning how to make things. If others don’t like it, that’s their issue. You don’t have to be a Picasso in life to do good things. Own up to your limitations and keep working on you. After all, no one can replicate your thoughts and actions. They are yours. Your energy has the potential to light the world on fire with positivism. Don’t let the negative smoke keep you from blazing your way through the flames. You’ve got this. Keep the positive energy going.